Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A quick Tournament Report

So my local gaming club hosted a 2000pt tournament recently. I brought my Eldar and my high hopes with me. Sadly this was not a glorious day for the Eldar of the Saim-Hann Craftworld. It was, however a fun filled day with some good games. So let’s get onto the report.

So I guess I’ll start with my own list. It, like most of my lists, is far from the most competitive of lists, but there was also a best painted competition and I wanted to make sure I qualified to compete in that as well. That is why there is a squad of Dire Avengers in one of the Wave Serpents instead of a second unit of Fire Dragons (which I would have much preferred!) Anyways, here it is.


Farseer, Jetbike, Runes of Warding, Guide

Farseer, Jetbike, Runes of Warding, Guide, Singing Spear

2x Guardian Jetbikes x6, 2x Shuriken Cannons, Warlock with Embolden

1x Guardian Jetbikes x4, 1x Shuriken Cannon, Warlock with Singing Spear and Destructor

Vyper Squadron, 2x Vypers with Brightlances

Vyper Squadron, 2x Vypers with Starcannons and Shuriken Cannons

Fire Dragons x6, Wave Serpent with Twin-linked Starcannons, Shuriken Cannon, and Spirit Stones

Dire Avengers x7, Wave Serpent with Twin-linked Brightlances, shuriken Cannon and Spirit Stones

Falcon with Scatter Laser, Holo-fields, and Spirit Stones

2x Fire Prisms

Game 1 saw me facing against Austin's Tyranids.


His list was as follows:
Hive Tyrant
Tyrant Guard x2
Zoanthrope x2
Tervigon
Termagant Brood x18
Hormagaunt Brood x20
2x Genestealer Brood x9 + Broodlord
2x Carnifex's
Tyrannofex

The mission was a tough one for me as the primary objective was a Leman Russ battle tank in the center of the table that you had to have a unit of infantry embarked into it to win. With only 2 small, fragile infantry units in the army the deck was definitely stacked against me. I was able to kill more of the bugs than they were able to of my army, but in the end the handicap was too much to overcome. I tried late game to blow the tank up in order to draw the primary and win the secondary and tertiary objectives, but just couldn't roll above a 3 on the damage table despite multiple attempts.

I have played Austin a few times out at the barn and he is always a good opponent. Tough as nails, our games always seem to come down to the wire. I look forward to our next matchup!

Game 2 pitted me against a Tau player named Ian. I have to say I hate playing against Tau. Nothing Ian (or any other Tau player) did to have me saying this. I simply don't know the Tau codex well enough to counter the tricks in the army. Further they seem to have a similar playstyle to my Eldar, that of mobile firepower. What they lack in speed compared to me, they more than make up for in sheer firepower.

So anyway game two was  a single objective mission with a twist. To start the game there were 3 objectives on the board. Only one was the true objective, but we didn't know which one it was. Players had to reveal the true objective by moving in base to base contact with it and rolling a d6 to randomly determine if it was the true one or not. If the 1st two weren't it then the third one became it by default. This game was a harsh one for me. After all was said and done I was 5 Fire Dragons and an immobilized Wave Serpent from being tabled. I had never met Ian before, but found him to be a tough opponent (obviously he almost tabled me!) with a really strong army. He had a couple of cool conversions in his army too.

Game 3 saw me pitted against young Jarred and his horde style Blood Drinkersraight up Kill point mission.

This would be my only win of the day. It was really a bad matchup for Jarred as there is little my army is better at than killing Space Marines, and without even having to open up their transports first it was bound to be a bit of a field day for me.
Jarreds list was something like this
Reclusiarh
Captain
Sanguinary Guard
4x Tactical squads with Flamer and Missile Launcher
1x Scout squad with 4x sniper rifles and Heavy Bolter
1x Assualt squad with 3x plasma pistol and Power Fist
2x Dreadnaughts with Multi-Melta.
Devastator squad with 2x Lascannon and 2x Heavy Bolter combat squaded.

The early game started off with me wreaking havoc on his army taking out his most mobile units first, then the dreadnoughts before moving on to the devs and tacticals. He did make a push late game to make it closer than it appeared. In the end I won by 8KP to 6KP, but tallying up the VP's I won by about 1600 to 800. Jarred had a surprisingly good grasp of the game for a 9 year old, and handled the loss like a champ. I also had a bit of fun chatting with his dad about the old days of 3rd edition.

In the end I had a very fun day of gaming against some very good opponents. I had hoped to do better, but oh well. Next time!

Here are a few pics of a few of the other armies at the tournament. Most of them are also in the best painted competition, the exception being the Angry (yellow) Marines as they are not fully painted. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see another Eldar blog! Also nice battle reports, maybe next time luck will be with you.

    Silar (http://thefallenprinces.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete